Planning & Zoning

Planning and Zoning Commission

  • Jessica Dunyon, chair
  • Cache Christensen
  • Amber Ervin
  • Jay Bair
  • Jordan Knutson
  • Sharik Peck

The P&Z Commission meets the first Tuesday of each month. They prepare or review the General Plan and recommend amendments of the General Plan to the Richmond City Council. P&Z administers provisions of the zoning ordinance, and they review, gather data, and recommend approval or denial of subdivision and PUD (planned unit development) applications to the countil. They also prepare or review and recommend zoning ordinances and maps and amendments to them to the city council.

Members are appointed to 4-year terms by the city council. The members choose their own chairperson. Reports and recommendations are public; the chairperson submits these in writing to the city council.

Please contact the city manager before embarking on a building or remodeling project to see if there are ordinances that may apply.

Zoning Map

Click here for the Richmond City zoning map. Note that is for information only; please check at the city office for the official zoning map.

Construction and Design Standards (2021)

This manual contains the construction and design standards for Richmond City: sidewalks, materials, landscaping, etc.

Title 12-000 of the Richmond Municipal Code contains our ordinances on Land Use, Development, and Management (LUDMO). Click here to access the code portal.

Building Permit

A building permit is needed for new houses and additions; agricultural buildings; accessory buildings such as garden sheds, detached garages, and workshops; and may be needed for remodels. Visit the "I Want to Build" page for more information. PLEASE contact the city office before starting work on your structure so you'll know the required setbacks and sideyards as well as other information pertinent to your lot and zoning.


The Planning & Zoning meeting agenda is found here.



P&Z Meeting Minutes Archive

The minutes from Planning & Zoning meetings held 2006-2019 are found here.


Do I need a permit for a fence?

No, but the fence can't be higher than six feet. And if you're on a corner lot, it can't obstruct the view of the intersecting streets. We suggest that fences located on corners and where driveways exit onto a sidewalk not exceed 42" to assist in safe vision for both driver and pedestrian.

Do I need a permit for a storage shed?

As long as the square footage of the shed is under 200 sq. ft. you won't need a building permit. However, if you plan to run any utilities to the shed, regardless of size, you will need a permit. When planning where to put the shed on your property, keep in mind that the dripline from its roof must be at least one foot off the property line. Also, it must be 10 ft from the dwelling.

Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

Only if additional plumbing, electrical or heating/cooling work will be done. If the basement has already been "roughed" in with those items, a building permit is not required.

Do I need a permit to remodel my house?

Same conditions as the basement apply. However, if you are doing any type of structural addition or modification, you will need a permit.

I want to build a house; what do I have to do?

Your first step should be the city office. Pick up the building checklist; it'll have everything you need in order to get your building permit. You will need the type of structure, the property tax number of the land parcel, what size the lot is, how it is zoned, and whether it's part of a subdivision. If it is not part of a subdivision, you will need a current survey with one copy being attached to your building plans.

You will need two copies of your plans to submit with your building clearance form - these are inspected, stamped, and then you'll take them to the County Building Office.

Please take your plans and the clearance form to the Council members assigned to P&Z and Water-Sewer. Once they have signed off on your form, bring the plans and form to the City Office for the final check-off steps.

You will also receive a current copy of the Manual of Design and Construction Standards that will provide the specifics (such as allowed slope and drainage of the driveway, retaining walls, driveway surfaces, etc.). New residences and businesses are required to put in a sidewalk to the City standards whether or not there is an adjoining sidewalk. Yes, we realize that gives a hopscotch effect to some of our roads, but eventually we'd like to get pedestrians OFF the streets and onto a safer walking route. Driveways must be established in such a manner to allow a "swale" to prevent water from running down the driveway and directly onto the street.

Call 811 Before Digging

Please be sure to call Blue Stakes (811) 48 hours before digging to have utilities such as natural gas pipelines marked. Click here for more information.

Richmond City logo